St. Anthony Elementary is located at 17750, rue Meloche in the West Island of Montreal . The school has an enrolment of 385 students. St. Anthony School is a community school with approximately 95% of its student population walking to school.
As part of the Lester B. Pearson School Board, St. Anthony School has been designated by the School Board as an Early French Immersion School . Therefore, in Kindergarten and Cycle I, the regular Quebec Education Program for English schools has been modified and the time allocation for French instruction has been increased. For students at these levels 85% of the school day is spent learning in French and 15% of the school day is designated for English instruction. The philosophy behind the Early Immersion Model of instruction is that early introduction of a second language is most effective and does not interfere with the acquisition of the first language, English.
In Cycle II and Cycle III, the students follow a bilingual program. For students at these levels 50% of the school day is spent learning in French and 50% is designated for English instruction. The aim of the Bilingual Program is to continue the student acquisition of French Second Language skills while simultaneously developing the English Language skills in order to have students graduate functionally bilingual.
To enhance student learning the school has:
- A Physical Education program
- A Music program in Kindergarten, Cycle II and Cycle III
- A Cycle I English Language Arts Enhancement program
- Resource support for students "At Risk"
- Integration Aide support for "Special Needs" students
- Weekly support from a psychologist, speech language therapist & spiritual animator
- A library
- A computer lab
- Classroom computers
- A mobile, laptop computer station
- A government subsidized morning and after school daycare program aligned with the school's mission.
- A supervised lunchtime program with daily hot lunches available to students.
- Parent volunteers who play a valuable role in many aspects of the school.